My husband is from New Zealand. In all the corner shops & little bakeries, they sell all kinds of individual pie – there are meat pies, cheese pies, meat & cheese pies. They are so good! Obviously I can’t get them here in Bend, Oregon. My husband loves them, so I wanted to make him a special treat. I searched the internet & found a few recipes. I used the one below, but now I can’t find it again! So sorry to whoever posted it.
We had relatives visit last summer from New Zealand so I asked them to find some little pie tins to make the pies in. I’m sure you can get some here in the States as well.
I’ve made it twice now. Once with the pie crust that they suggested & most recently with puff pastry dough. My husband loved them & they are so yummy. I’ll definitely be making them again.
New Zealand Meat Pie Recipe
- 1 Tbs of olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 400 grams of ground, lean beef (beef mince)
- 1 Tbsp of cornstarch
- 3/4 cup of beef stock
- 1/8 cup of tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Vegemite or substitute 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 sheets frozen, ready-rolled pie pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 small pie tins & baking tray
- Tomato sauce (ketchup)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add ground beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned.
- Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of beef stock and stir well. Set aside.
- Add remaining beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and Vegemite to beef. Stir well to combine. Add cornflour mixture and stir. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place a pie tin on pastry and cut a circle around it. Repeat process to make another 3 circles — these are the pie tops. Set aside.
- Place pie tin on pastry again and cut a circle that’s slightly larger than tin (about 1/2 inch bigger) — this is the pie base. Repeat process to make another 3 bases.
- Press base pastry into pie tins and press up the sides. Fill with meat mixture. Brush rims with water.
- Place pie tops over meat. Use a fork to press edges to seal. Trim edges if necessary. Brush tops with egg.
- Place pies on to a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve with tomato sauce (ketchup).
For details of this challenge, click here.
One thought on “Challenge #3 New Zealand Meat Pie”
Thank you for NZ Pie. I am a NZ’er living in Thailand